Well, we officially made it through middle sis’s wedding. Life for our family got really hectic around last Thursday and things are just now starting to return to normal.
If you’ve been keeping up, you know I had to clean my hot mess of a bonus room and get it looking presentable pronto because the bridal party was staying at my house the night before the wedding. I did manage to make that happen, thanks to a lot of help from the hubster.
We girls had a pretty relaxing time before the big day. Oh, except when sis turned on our upstairs guest shower (it was the first time it was used since we changed the plumbing fixtures in there). Apparently, a pipe behind the drywall isn’t tight and, as a result, those of us sitting at the kitchen table downstairs got a shower, too, when water literally started raining out of the pendant lights. Oh, the joys of DIY projects.
Anyhoo, that fix is a post for another day. Let me show you what I’ve actually accomplished so far in the office/guest room/music room above our garage.
We painted the space in Valspar’s Oatlands Subtle Taupe (eggshell) from Lowes. It has a really light, soft gray tint to it.
The executive desk and credenza came from Home Decorators Collection. I used a 15-percent off coupon plus free shipping to bring down the price a bit. Between these two very necessary pieces of furniture, I was able to get all my office supplies organized and paperwork filed (finally). The desk chair was purchased long ago at a hotel auction. I think I paid $5 for it. The slipcover came from Kmart.
OK, now let’s talk curtains.
I purchased this fabric for 40-percent off at Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Store. I paid a little less than $40 for around six yards of it, which gave me enough to make two panels plus two throw pillows for the sofa bed.
How I sew drapery panels
I’m sure there are probably rules for how to properly sew drapes. I follow the “let’s whip out some curtains before the kids get home from school” method. I use the full width of the fabric that you get from the store for each panel, so there is no cutting needed for the sides. Then I measure out 90 inches for the length. This gives me an inch hem on the bottom (1/2-inch folded over twice) and five inches on the top (enough room to create a rod pocket). In the end, this leaves me with a standard 84-inch panel.
Tip: When sewing, sew an inch hem (1/2-inch folded over twice) on the sides FIRST before you make your top and bottom hems.
I can usually whip out two drapery panels in under two hours using this quick method.
There is still much to be done in the office, but I am definitely happy with the progress we’ve made so far, especially in the way of organization.
I can now actually work in here quite comfortably.
Speaking of comfort, we purchased this queen-sized sofa bed a few months ago. It was a floor model that was marked down on super clearance at Boscov’s.
I still need to sew throw pillows, add some wall art (which I am super excited about) and organize the TV/game/music end of the room before I can call this space finished.
I hope to have another progress update later this week, so stay tuned.
Oh, and if you haven’t already signed up to win the Hallmark Back-To-School Care Package, there is still time. Be sure to leave a comment here to enter.