5 questions to answer before buying furniture
It always amazes me how quickly other people can pick out furniture. They pop into the nearest furniture store, quickly decide on one of the display sets, order it and that’s it!
For me, choosing furniture pieces for my home is a long, thoughtful process. I take into careful consideration my family’s current lifestyle, my design style, the layout of the room, the measurements, how the piece(s) will fit in with seasonal decorating changes, etc. Because I answer these questions up front, I almost always end up with pieces I love to look at for many years and that function very well in their designated spaces.
Havertys recently offered me the opportunity to do a post describing my personality as a piece of furniture. In addition to that, I thought I would share the top five questions I answer before bringing any piece of furniture into my home.
By the way, right now Havertys has some hilarious furniture commercials on their YouTube channel. You should check them out. Here’s one of my favs:
Too cute! I love that you can custom design your own pieces at Havertys. When I need something new, I’ll definitely be checking out their options.
Speaking of furniture design, here is a photo of our leather chair that sits next to the fireplace in our living room. It is so very me. Why? It perfectly reflects what I like to call my rustic chic style.
I also love this similar one from Havertys:
My chair is extremely comfortable and easy to wipe clean, but also has a modern, stylish edginess to it that I love. Its neutral color makes it a breeze to decorate around for every season, which is great because I change my mind at the drop of a hat and I need furniture that will support my flights of fancy. And what girl doesn’t need a little leather in her life? It’s “Sex in the City” meets “The Pioneer Woman” … totally me in a nutshell.
As with nearly all of the furniture in my home, I took a long time picking out this piece. Before it ever made it through the door, it had to pass my five-question test.
1. Will this piece work with our current lifestyle? (In other words, can a baby spit up on it and food be spilled on it and it will survive?)
2. Will our family use this piece all the time and will it fit in easily with the work and play we do? (For example, can we all snuggle together on this couch for Saturday movie night with popcorn?)
3. What fabric and color will best reflect my personal style and the style of the room? (How will it work with wall colors, other furniture, decorations, etc.? Will it contribute to the “feel” I’m going for in the room?)
4. Are the proportions correct for the space?
5. Can I afford this piece without busting the budget?
These are all very important questions to answer if you want to avoid furniture buyer’s remorse.
If you’re in the market for new furniture, I would encourage you to be patient, don’t rush the process, do your homework, and, most importantly, have fun!
Havertys- furniture that fits your lifestyle and your personality. To follow Emily and her adventures visit youtube.com/havertys
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Havertys. The opinions and text are all mine.