Warning: The following images may not be suitable for viewing by “cleanies,” uber-organized people, or anyone who recently ate a large meal.
I confess. The state of my garage is typically so embarrassing that I try to make sure no neighbors are nearby before I open the door. My husband was so disgusted with it that he cleaned up one side a few months ago. (One side is really all a human can handle in a day without needing professional counseling afterward.)
So right now, the garage is actually not as bad as usual. But, well, it’s still pretty bad. Here’s a sneak peak at the damage:
I’m pretty sure there’s a family of spiders living in a few of those shoes. Interestingly, our house is 10 years old and most of the garage walls have still never been painted.
I have to chuckle. The sign I made for the door says, “Welcome home.” Who wouldn’t love coming home to this? 😉
Sigh. So it’s time for me to dig in and get this space in order. School is starting for our second grader tomorrow and I am ready to get organized. There’s nothing like waiting until the last minute, right?
This project is big and, when I think about all the work involved, I already feel like curling up in the fetal position and whispering, “Make the voices stop.” So I’ve decided to break it up into phases.
- Phase 1: Clean out and organize junk on one half of garage.
- Phase 2: Paint one half of garage, including ceiling.
- Phase 3: Build organizing solution for everyday tools.
- Phase 4: Build rack and shelf for coats … oh the many, many coats. Shudder.
- Phase 5: Paint cabinets and add hardware.
- Phase 6: Throw huge party for myself to celebrate completing phases 1-5. Include massage and shopping trip.
- Phase 7:
Ignore other half and hope husband organizes it.
- Phase 7:
Hire someone to finish it.I wish.
- Phase 7: Create a game plan for tackling second half of garage.
I figure I’ll cross the Phase 8 bridge when I come to it. But for now, I’ve got my hands full with the first half of the garage. I’m hoping to show you some real progress in a few days! Pray for me. 🙂
What’s the state of your garage? Do you have any tips for keeping it organized?