Here in Pennsylvania, winter is reluctant to let us out of its clutches. We woke up to more snow today! Despite the weather, I’ve been infected with a serious case of spring DIY fever and am officially in project mode. This past weekend, I finished up two easy projects I wanted to share with you today, particularly because they are perfect for beginner DIYers.
The first project is a driftwood candle holder and the second is a cabinet-mounted, magnetic knife block.
For complete details on how to do both projects, check out the short video tutorial below:
To help you prepare, below are the lists of materials I used for the projects.
Driftwood candle holder
For this project, you’ll need the following supplies:
- 1 small stump or log piece (clean, dry and able to sit flat on a tabletop)
- Power drill
- 2-inch Forstner drill bit
- Wood stain (I chose a combination of Rust-Oleum® Driftwood and Willow stains, available at Lowe’s.)
- Polyurethane (I chose the Rust-Oleum poly in a satin finish.)
- Votive holders (Mine measure 1 1/2″ in diameter at the base.)
- Votive candles
Cabinet-mounted magnetic knife block
For this project, you’ll need the following supplies (available at Lowe’s):
- 1 1″x2″x8′ section of lumber (I chose poplar and used a miter saw to cut it.)
- Pre-glued, iron-on wood veneer edging (I chose poplar, to match my lumber. You’ll also need an iron to apply it.)
- Block magnets
- Wood stain (I chose Rust-Oleum Traditional Cherry and Kona stains.)
- High-strength, clear epoxy adhesive
- Mineral oil
- Command™ strips or mounting hardware
QUICK TIP: If you have worn-out kitchen knives that need discarded, it’s important to use a safe method of disposal. First, check with your local metals recycling depot to see if they accept knives. If not, wrap the knives in bubble wrap, cardboard or layers of newspaper. Then use a generous amount of tape to secure the packing materials and dispose of the knives in a plastic or metal trash bin.
Have you caught the spring DIY fever yet? What projects do you have in the works?